What Is Obesity? (45 minutes) > Print/View All Notes
In this activity, students will create a concept map describing their knowledge of obesity. Before the activity begins, hand out the students' Engineering Portfolios. Let your class know that they will use these portfolios over the course of the lesson to investigate the relationship between obesity and fast food. The first page of the portfolio contains a concept map that your students can use to organize their thoughts and ideas about obesity. Alternatively, you may ask students to work with websites like VoiceThread and bubbl.us , or tools like Inspiration software, to record their ideas. Once the students have finished their research, facilitate a classroom discussion in order to incorporate everyone's ideas into one concise definition of obesity. Ask students:
- How did you first define obesity?
- How did your definition change as you conducted your research?
- What did you find to be the causes of obesity?
- What are some health effects of obesity?
- How can people fight obesity?